I want to hire a cleaning service to clean my home, what should I know first?
Most people that hire individuals or even cleaning services to clean their homes are not aware of what they should be asking before turning over the keys to their homes. Somehow along the way bonding became the industry standard question to ask. This is a false sense of security. When interviewing cleaning services customers should ask the following questions:
- Are you insured? This means adequate liability insurance, not a bond. Bonding is not a bad thing and in extremely rare cases does serve a purpose. Ask to see a copy of their insurance certificate.
- Are you registered with the Internal Revenue Service and do you pay quarterly payroll taxes?
- Do you carry worker’s compensation insurance? (Find out what your state requirements are) A good service will cover workers with WC even if they fall under the states minimum requirements.
- Will employees or independent contractors clean my home?
- What does your pre-employment screening consist of? Do you perform criminal background checks on all employees?
- Who will be cleaning my house? One person? A team? Is there a trained crew leader or crew manager on-site at all times?
- How do you train your employees, do you have a formal training program?
- Do you provide a satisfaction guarantee with your services?
Make sure all expectations are clear and up front. Ask about any service or task that you expect to be performed that is not mentioned or listed by the owner/ manager.
FAQ About Life Maid Easy
Do I have to do anything before the cleaning crew arrives?
- In order for the cleaning crew to do their job, we ask that you pick up clothing,
toys, and other household items. The cleaning crew will not know where your personal
items belong and we prefer not to go into your closets and drawers to put things
What it i need to reschedule and appointment?
- Please call our office 48 hours in advance and we would be happy to re schedule
your appointment for you. We do however ask that you understand that if you reschedule
an appointment your cleaning crew may not be available on the day that you have
reschedule the appointment
How do you access my home?
- Life Maid Easy must be able to access to provide service. There are four choices:
- The most convenient; you may leave a key on file in our key safe.
- You may leave a key at some designated accessible place at your residence.
- After giving us key clearance we can pick up the key wherever the key is kept.
- You may meet the cleaner. If you wish to meet the cleaner, we give you an arrival
window prior to the arrival. We can not specify exact arrival times.
How Should I pay for the services?
- Payment is due at the time of service. If you are not going to be home, please leave
a check for the amount of your cleaning made payable to Life Maid Easy on the kitchen
counter. Many clients find it easy to set up automatic credit card at our office.
If you would like to set up credit card simply call our office.
Do i have to sign a contract?
- No, however we do ask that you read over our service agreement and maintain a clear
understanding of our policies and prcedures. The most important being that you will
be charged a $45 service fee if we arrive at you home and you are not there and
we have no way to gain access.
What Time will you arrive at my home?
- As * a courtesy, we will call you the day prior to your cleaning and remind you
that we are coming. At that time we will give you an hour window. This window is
an approximate time that you can expect the cleaning crew. We ask that client understand
that things do arise that are out of our control such as bad weather, construction,
or extra time needed at the house before you. All of these things play a role as
to when the cleaning crew will arrive. The cleaning crew will call you if they are
Do i need to supply any cleaning supplies
- No, Life Maid Easy supplies all the cleaning supplies necessary to clean your home
including the vacuum and mop. The only way you would ever need to supply something
is if their is a specific product that you would prefer them to use. In that case
you would supply that product and let us know where it will be kept in your home.
Do you background check your employee's?
- Yes, all of our employee's are subject to an annual certified national background
Why dose my first cleaning cost more?
- it usually takes more time to clean the home the first time that we come because
we clean area's of the home that may have not been cleaned in a while like on top
of the kitchen cabinets.
If i give you keys, how are they protected?
- Your key is coded as soon as it enters the office. It will be stored in a locked
key storage box to which only management has access. The day of your scheduled cleaning,
your key is matched to your ticket. At the end of the day the service provider returns
all keys to the management who then places them back into the secured storage box.
Can i expect the same service providers each time?
- We've build our service on this very question and we realize that it is of most
concern to our clients. Employees do change jobs, go on vacations, and are out ill
on occasion. We make every effort to send the same service providers although we
will deliberately rotate providers in order to acquaint them with each home.
Should i tip the service providers?
- If you are pleased with the work done in your home we encourage you to show your
appreciation to your service providers. Although not required, a gratuity is a powerful
way to say “I appreciate your work.” Even a note from you, simply saying “thanks
for a job will done” means a great deal
What is the cancelation policy?
- If it is necessary to cancel/skip your regular cleaning day, requires a 2 business
day notice. If we receive less than a 2 business day notice, or can not access your
home, it will be necessary for us to charge half the fee for your scheduled cleaning.
Do not inform the service providers of any changes to your schedule it must be done
directly with the office management
What if my cleaning falls on a holiday?
- Life Maid Easy will reschedule the cleaning a few days prior or after the holiday.
At each cleaning the service providers will leave an invoice showing the return
date and approximate return time for your next cleaning. This is where you will
see the change if your cleaning falls on a holiday. If the day/time is inconvienent
simply call our office to reschedule.
How to I provide feedback on my cleanings?
- Since cleaning is a very personalized and subjective service, we provide you with
the names of your service providers after each cleaning. We encourage you to call
the office directly to make any and all comments. Immediate feedback is essential
to serve you better, to correct any problems and to praise those service providers
meeting and exceeding your expectations
Can i expect the same day and time each visit?
- Yes, every client is scheduled on a recurrent day and time. A receipt will be given
to you each visit with the return date and time and you will receive a courtesy,
confirmation call the day before.
Will there be a charge for the walk-thru estimate?
- No. We like to walk through the home with you explaining what we do and how we do
it. This will provide you the opportunity to speak with us about any special instructions
and you will have a clear understanding of our service. By doing the walk-thru we
have an educated guess to allot enough time to get the job done as completely and
efficiently as possible.
What if I have something special I would like to have done that is out of the ordinary
- Should you have any special requests please leave a note or ask the service provider
manager as soon as they arrive and the request will be included. If additional time
is required, we may have to schedule the request on another day. We encourage our
clients to make suggestions concerning any aspect of our service
How often should the service be required?
- This totally depends on the individual homeowner; because we do such a thorough
cleaning most clients find that it is not necessary to have us every week. The client
knows the home best; entertaining friends, visits from family, and the physical
ability to maintain the home between visits will justify how often the service is
needed. We will adapt to the schedule set forth by the client.
What is your policy concerning children and pets?
- Please remind the children we will be arriving to clean the home and have them pick
up toys and clothing before we arrive. We will clean around animal litter boxes
but we do not clean up animal feces.
I have just a small home; do you clean homes such as mine?
- Yes, Many of our clients are elderly couples who have adjusted to the family growing
up, leaving the larger family homes and moving into smaller homes or condos. Many
are working couples; unable to keep up with the hectic schedules of today; having
difficulty finding time for the important things in life.
What is your guarantee policy?
If you are not completely satisfied with your cleaning, simply inform the office
within 24 hours of service and we will happily reclean the area with which you are
What if something gets broken?
- Life Maid Easy is insured for breakage replacement. If an item can be repaired we
will be happy to pay for those repairs; if the item can not be repaired, we ask
that you find a replacement item, save the sales slip and we will pay you for the
replacement. Items of great value or of sentimental value, please instruct us not
to handle these items or place them in a cabinet away from danger. Please place
all items of value (money, credit cards, collectible coins, jewelry, etc.) in a
secure, locked space for your protection as well as ours.